[UFO Chicago] I have a CD player that does not recognize any of the audio CDs that I have burnt

Jay F. Shachter jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Mon Apr 10 00:24:31 CDT 2023

Esteemed Colleagues:

I have a CD player that plays commercial CDs, but I have not succeeded
in burning an audio CD that it will play.  This may have something to
do with the fact that commercial CDs are "pressed" rather than
"burnt", but I am using words whose meanings I do not know.  This CD
player was able to play a commercial CD in (what I assume was)
standard audio CD format, and it was also able to play a commercial CD
that contained an ISO filesystem with a START.EXE, an AUTORUN.INF, and
a MOV subdirectory containing a CC_AIL.MP3 file (and also a CC_AIL.FLV
file which it presumably ignored).  So it is a CD player with at least
some minimal amount of sophistication, able to recognize more than one
format.  But it does not recognize any CD that I have burnt.

Do you have any recommendations on how to burn an audio CD that this
player will play?  I have tried both k3b and brasero.  I have already
tried burning a CD at the lowest speed that brasero offers, and it
didn't help.  After failing with audio CDs that I made from mp3 files,
I tried making an audio CD from wav files, and it didn't help.  Thank
you in advance for any and all replies.

(Alternately, does anyone want to sell me a CD player better than the
one I have, that you no longer want?  I expect to be at the next
in-person ufo meeting.)

(Yes, I know that CD players are an obsolete technology, but telling
me to play the CDs on my laptop computer is not useful advice.  There
is a 90-year-old man in my neighborhood, in the early stages of
dementia, whom I visit.  I want to give him a CD containing songs that
he enjoyed when he was young.  He does not own a computer, and if I
give him a laptop, he could not, at his age and in his condition,
learn how to use it.  I think he can learn how to use a CD player,
so my plan is to give him a CD, and a CD player.  But I don't have a
CD player to give him that will play any of the CDs that I have burnt
for him.  That is why I now turn to you for advice.)

                        Jay F. Shachter
                        6424 North Whipple Street
                        Chicago IL  60645-4111
                                (1-773)7613784   landline
                                (1-410)9964737   GoogleVoice
                                jay at m5.chicago.il.us
                                http://m5.chicago.il.us

                        "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"