[UFO Chicago] R we not nerds?

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Tue Dec 14 22:37:59 PST 2010

On Tuesday, December 14, 2010 9:12:11 pm Jay F Shachter wrote:

>    Since this topic was last raised, however, I have learned
>    about an event taking place in our city that is far more
>    nerd-worthy than any game that is played with
>    icosahedron-shaped dice: the Greenhouse Theater Center, at
>    2257 North Lincoln, 773/4047336, is performing "A Klingon
>    Christmas Carol", until Sunday, December 19.  I am not
>    making this up.  Except for a Vulcan narrator who
>    occasionally speaks English, the entire play is performed
>    by Klingon actors, in the Klingon language, with English
>    subtitles.  A certain amount of cultural as well as
>    linguistic translation had to take place in the production
>    of this play, as Klingons do not value kindness and
>    generosity so much as bravery, and blood-lust.  But by the
>    end of the play, SQuja' learns his lesson, and becomes a
>    true Klingon.
>
>    I totally want to see this, and I don't even observe
>    Christmas.  I propose that we see it as a group.  Please
>    RSVP to the mailing list.
>

> Who wants to see this as a group, and what dates and times are good?
> There are 4 performances left:
>
>  Thursday eveing, December 16, 2010 (7:30 p.m.)
>  Friday evening, December 17, 2010 (7:30 p.m.)
>  Saturday evening, December 18, 2010 (7:30 p.m.)
>  Sunday afternoon, December 19, 2010 (2:30 p.m.)

As the one who touched off the nerdery in question, I will note that the
message I had intended to send to the list but ended up sending to someone is
that I will already be seeing this show on Sunday 19 December with my geeky
family and some non-Linux geeky friends.  I certainly would not object to an
increase in the number of geeks attending with us on that day.

--Larry Garfield