[UFO Chicago] R we not nerds?

Jay F Shachter jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Tue Dec 14 19:12:11 PST 2010

It is both ironic, and, in a sense, fundamentally right, and fitting,
that last week's discussion topic "R we not nerds?"  morphed into a
discussion about computer user interfaces, all because an e-mail to
this mailing list didn't set the "Reply-To" header to the mailing
list.  The medium is the message; the discussion itself provided an
eloquent answer to the question.

Nevertheless, we still don't know who all wants to go to the event in
question.  Let us re-state the original posting:

   It has recently been pointed out on this mailing list that
   we are failing to conduct our twice-montly UFO meetings in
   character.  If we are nerds, then we should be spending
   our time together playing Dungeons and Dragons -- or at
   least Go -- rather than expressing mild opinions on
   economic policy.

   Since this topic was last raised, however, I have learned
   about an event taking place in our city that is far more
   nerd-worthy than any game that is played with
   icosahedron-shaped dice: the Greenhouse Theater Center, at
   2257 North Lincoln, 773/4047336, is performing "A Klingon
   Christmas Carol", until Sunday, December 19.  I am not
   making this up.  Except for a Vulcan narrator who
   occasionally speaks English, the entire play is performed
   by Klingon actors, in the Klingon language, with English
   subtitles.  A certain amount of cultural as well as
   linguistic translation had to take place in the production
   of this play, as Klingons do not value kindness and
   generosity so much as bravery, and blood-lust.  But by the
   end of the play, SQuja' learns his lesson, and becomes a
   true Klingon.

   I totally want to see this, and I don't even observe
   Christmas.  I propose that we see it as a group.  Please
   RSVP to the mailing list.

Who wants to see this as a group, and what dates and times are good?
There are 4 performances left:

 Thursday eveing, December 16, 2010 (7:30 p.m.)
 Friday evening, December 17, 2010 (7:30 p.m.)
 Saturday evening, December 18, 2010 (7:30 p.m.)
 Sunday afternoon, December 19, 2010 (2:30 p.m.)

Personally, I am able to come -- and bring one guest -- on either
Thursday, Saturday, or Sunday (i.e., any date except Friday night).
What dates and times are good for others?  Please direct your replies
(and your Reply-To headers) to the mailing list.

	Jay F. Shachter
	6424 N Whipple St
	Chicago IL  60645-4111
		(1-773)7613784
		jay at m5.chicago.il.us
		http://m5.chicago.il.us

	"But when she traced the killer's IP address ... it was in the 192.168/16 block!"