[UFO Chicago] Linux netbooks recommendation

Jesse Becker jesse_becker at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 26 19:58:53 PDT 2009

I have a Dell Vostro A90 (formerly known as the "Inspiron Mini 9").  I love it.  It cost $350, after shipping/tax, RAM upgrade, neoprene case, 2 year warranty (upgraded from 1 year) and $50 "instant rebate".  It shipped with Ubuntu; I neither want, nor paid for, Windows (which was ~$100 more).  You'll have to get the RAM upgrade aftermarket, since Dell doesn't offer it online.

It has 2GB of RAM, and a 16GB SSD drive.  There are no moving parts, except the keyboard and main LCD hinge.  Battery life is right at 4 hours.  Everything works out of the box using the Ubuntu distribution shipped by Dell.  This includes audio, video, webcam, networking, USB, WiFi, and Bluetooth.  It weighs about 1 kilo.  I toss it in my bag and take it to work every day; I don't notice the weight.

The keyboard is small, and while I don't mind too much, I can certainly see people having a problem with it.  I strongly suggest trying one out first.  Also, extra AC chargers for the EeePC (I think) work with the Mini 9; they are much cheaper than replacements from Dell.

The Dell Mini 10 has a better keyboard and larger screen, but is limited to 1GB of RAM (apparently, the chip is soldered on).

--
Jesse Becker
GPG-fingerprint:  BD00 7AA4 4483 AFCC 82D0  2720 0083 0931 9A2B 06A2