[UFO Chicago] implementing internal DNS

Christopher D. Heer cheer at heerfamily.net
Sun Aug 2 17:54:36 PDT 2009

Politik Durden wrote:
> Woah, this sounds interesting. You mean people have figured out how to
> flash their routers with Linux ? Any details on how to do this ? The
> web based admin console for my Motorola allows you to browse to a file
> that contains firmware upgrades. So I'm guessing people have reverse
> engineered the file format and just made a file that flashes the
> device to a Linux build ? I gotta try this....post any details you
> have please :-) Thanks !!!!!!

Check out www.dd-wrt.com; it's a good place to start.  You'll have to
browse their wiki to confirm whether your particular router is
supported.  There are also several different images (different
sizes/features/etc.) so even if your flash space is limited they still
might have an image that will work.

I ran dd-wrt for a long time until I got AT&T's U-Verse service, and
while I like the service, I hatehatehate the fact that I'm stuck with
their "residential gateway."

--chris