[UFO Chicago] implementing internal DNS

Daniel Kelly daniel.jp.kelly at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 19:14:28 PDT 2009

You know, I would build a router with one of those dual core intel atom
motherboard/vga/cpu combos and a shuttle case.  Then all you need is one
more network card - usb should be fine for wan, there will be no
bottleneck.  Then get an atheros mini pci card (with a pci adapter).  Some
of them can tx at 700mw versus the meager 70 that most consumer grade
routers do.  You can also get an ide to cf adapter and boot off of a compact
flash card of your chossing.

Would this be overkill? you might ask.  I don't think so. There's an x86
version of dd-wrt that's free for personal use but you could just as easily
use any other verison of linux and maybe webmin with it.  I'm about to do
this myself because consumer routers simply can't handle much of a load.
They are crippled under intense p2p use - like having 1000 connections open
in bittorrent.  Also, I noticed the processor usage was at 100% on my
WRT54GL while doing a large SCP file transfer.  It's the encryption that it
can't handle.  I think you could build a $200 router that would be awesome.
200mhz RISC and 8mb ram (which is more than a lot of them have) just isn't
enough IMO.

-Dan