[UFO Chicago] Apache case-insensitive username matching with .htaccess directives?

Jesse Becker jesse_becker at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 14 11:00:13 PDT 2009

--- On Tue, 4/14/09, Jay F Shachter <jay at m5.chicago.il.us> wrote:
> thing, and have not found it.  The only solution I
> have come up with is completely impractical: to have
> separate lines in the .htpasswd file for each
> variation of a username, all containing the same
> encrypted password to the right of the colon.
> But this is, of course, utterly bogus. It would
> require, e.g., 1024 different lines for a 10-letter
> username.

While I completely agree that all permutations of upper and lowercase is impractical, there is a middle ground.

I'm willing to bet that over 99% of the attempted usernames will fit one of these three forms:
  username
  Username
  USERNAME

This changes the length from 2^N to 3N--a pretty substantial improvement, even if still not ideal.

--
Jesse Becker
GPG-fingerprint:  BD00 7AA4 4483 AFCC 82D0  2720 0083 0931 9A2B 06A2