[UFO Chicago] Apache case-insensitive username matching with .htaccess directives?

Jay F Shachter jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Tue Apr 14 11:13:18 PDT 2009

Centuries ago, Nostradamus predicted that Jesse Becker would write on Tue Apr 14 13:00:13 2009:

> While I completely agree that all permutations of upper and
> lowercase is impractical, there is a middle ground.
>
> I'm willing to bet that over 99% of the attempted usernames will fit
> one of these three forms:
>   username
>   Username
>   USERNAME
>
> This changes the length from 2^N to 3N--a pretty substantial
> improvement, even if still not ideal.

Alas, the usernames are originally (they can change) the user's
electronic addresses.  Think in terms of "first.last at example.com".
There are a lot more than 3 likely possibilities:

  first.last at example.com
  First.Last at example.com
  first.last at Example.com
  first.last at Example.Com
  first.last at Example.COM
  First.Last at Example.COM
  first.last at EXAMPLE.COM

... you get the idea.  It really isn't practical.  Now, .htaccess
files that request case-insensitive usernames -- that would be
practical.  Surely someone else has wanted this too; I can't possibly
be breaking new ground here.

			Jay F. Shachter
			6424 N Whipple St
			Chicago IL  60645-4111
				(1-773)7613784
				jay at m5.chicago.il.us
				http://m5.chicago.il.us

			"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"