Fwd: Re: [UFO Chicago] anyone running SATA on Fedora ?

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Sun Mar 30 16:37:31 PDT 2008

On Sun, March 30, 2008 5:22 pm, Politik Durden wrote:

>   Hey thanks for the post. Yea I keep reading things that say
> SATA is supported but just as many other things saying it's
> not. Seems like different SATA cards are supported at varying
> levels (hardware level, software talking to BIOS level, this
> "fakeraid" stuff, etc. etc) and people are maybe taking that
> as "not supported" ? So it's the hardware makers, not Linux,
> that's causing the issue ?

Support probably does vary between different kernel levels
(2.4.* vs 2.6.*), but if one is forced to make a broad
statement, yes, SATA is supported by Linux.  Thousands of
people run SATA without problems.

The best way for us to help would be for your to post the names
of some of the cards you are considering and the specific
version of Linux you're on.