Fwd: Re: [UFO Chicago] anyone running SATA on Fedora ?

Politik Durden politikdurden at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 30 14:22:40 PDT 2008

Politik Durden <politikdurden at yahoo.com> wrote:  Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 14:18:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Politik Durden <politikdurden at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [UFO Chicago] anyone running SATA on Fedora ?
To: Jesse Becker <jesse_becker at yahoo.com>

  Hey thanks for the post. Yea I keep reading things that say SATA is supported but just as many other things saying it's not. Seems like different SATA cards are supported at varying levels (hardware level, software talking to BIOS level, this "fakeraid" stuff, etc. etc) and people are maybe taking that as "not supported" ? So it's the hardware makers, not Linux, that's causing the issue ?

Jesse Becker <jesse_becker at yahoo.com> wrote:

--- Politik Durden
wrote:

> Wanna move to Fedora 8 but but from what I'm reading,
> Linux support for SATA is still shaky ? Any SATA card
> recommendations ? MicroCenter has some for as low as $14
> but of course you get what you pay for. What should I be
> looking for ? Any advice ?

SATA support has been solid for several years now. The
only "gotcha" is that SATA support uses the SCSI modules
instead of the traditional IDE drivers. So while an IDE
drive appears as "hdX", SATA drives show up as "sdX"--just
like a "real" SCSI drive.

Which cards are supported will depend on what kernel you
are running, but I'd guess that most cards you can find a
Microcenter will be okay.

http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Hardware%2C_driver_status

--
Jesse Becker
GPG-fingerprint: BD00 7AA4 4483 AFCC 82D0 2720 0083 0931 9A2B 06A2

Looking for last minute shopping deals?