Fwd: Re: [UFO Chicago] anyone running SATA on Fedora ?

Politik Durden politikdurden at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 31 20:01:40 PDT 2008

right now I'm runnig FC3 but I'll upgrade to fedora 8 in a wee bit.

  Cards I'm thinking of (only because MicroCenter carries them)

  1) Syba SY-VIA-150R
  chipset: VIA VT6421L

  Syba's site has a penguin next to the card but Linux is not officially listed as a supported OS.  I can only take that to mean that someone somewhere has gotten this card to work with some distro of linux.

  this doc: http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

  says: (link) VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6421 and VT6421L PCI chips &mdash fakeraid. A libata-dev patch was posted on 2005-02-06.

  2) SY-JM363-2S1P express
  chipset JMicron 363

  Syba web site says it supports AHCI.
  this doc: http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Hardware%2C_driver_status
  from Jesse says chipset supports AHCI in kernel 2.6.24.4. Sounds like AHCI supports more SATA stuff natively w/o relying on software shim type stuff ?

  so am i good ? i dunno i mean it seems like I'm gold but all this talk of Linux not supporting SATA had me spooked so i figured i'd double check.

  ak <brian at planetshwoop.com> wrote:

Support probably does vary between different kernel levels
(2.4.* vs 2.6.*), but if one is forced to make a broad
statement, yes, SATA is supported by Linux. Thousands of
people run SATA without problems.

The best way for us to help would be for your to post the names
of some of the cards you are considering and the specific
version of Linux you're on.