[UFO Chicago] Shell hosting company(ies)?

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Thu Sep 6 07:52:58 PDT 2007

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 15:42:19 +0100, Nick Moffitt <nick at zork.net> wrote:

>> Yes, I can run all this at home, assuming Comcrap didn't
>> suck so much.
>
> Yeah, the era of hosting your servers at home has sadly faded, thanks to
> anemic upstream pipes on any affordable home connection.
>
> Unicode lacks a teardrop to shed over this, so here's rain on an
> umbrella, even though that conjures images of contentment for me
> personally:  ☔

Did I not get the memo?  I run a home server just fine on Comcast.  Granted its a private server (there's only like 2 users, I'm one of them), but it handles all of my mail/xmpp/file server needs just fine.  I didn't know there was an era when running an actual public server on a home connection made sense.

--Larry Garfield