[UFO Chicago] Shell hosting company(ies)?

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Thu Sep 6 07:42:19 PDT 2007

Jesse Becker:
> Hey Nate, what's that shell hosting company you liked?  Linode?

Linode provide you with full virtual systems, complete with root access
and the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice.  They're very generous
with their resource upgrades

> Anyone else have any other suggestions for shell hosting?
> I just want a place that will let me:
>   1)  SSH
>   2)  dump small-moderate sized files (no more than ~500MB at a time)
>   3)  Run small, low CPU programs and scripts.

For these requirements, Linode would be fabulous if you don't mind the
overhead of administering your own server instance.  It's a bit of
overkill if you don't want to do this, though.  If you're on the fence
about it, I recommend getting the smallest linode possible on a yearly
plan, installing Ubuntu 6.06.2 LTS on it, and putting the
unattended-upgrades system in effect.

> Yes, I can run all this at home, assuming Comcrap didn't
> suck so much.

Yeah, the era of hosting your servers at home has sadly faded, thanks to
anemic upstream pipes on any affordable home connection.

Unicode lacks a teardrop to shed over this, so here's rain on an
umbrella, even though that conjures images of contentment for me
personally:  ☔

--
"As I soared high into the tag cloud Xeni Jardin             Nick Moffitt
carefully put up for me, I couldn't help but wonder how     nick at zork.net