[UFO Chicago] Shell hosting company(ies)?

Jordan Bettis jordanb at hafd.org
Thu Sep 6 07:01:23 PDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 09:35:58AM -0700, Jesse Becker wrote:
> Hey Nate, what's that shell hosting company you liked?
> Linode?
>
> Anyone else have any other suggestions for shell hosting?
> I just want a place that will let me:
>   1)  SSH
>   2)  dump small-moderate sized files (no more than ~500MB
> at a time)
>   3)  Run small, low CPU programs and scripts.

Yes, all the cool kids at UFO have linodes.

It's not a 'shell host' though, but a UML host, so you get root access
to a virtual Linux instance.

Probably if you don't want that you could get something cheaper. You
could do the above probably with an m-net account (although they'd
probably freak about the 500MB unless you upgraded to one of the
paid accounts).

On the other hand, though, after getting root access to a machine in
a data center with practically limitless bandwith, I find, you do
tend to expand the scope of what you want to do pretty quickly.

> Yes, I can run all this at home, assuming Comcrap didn't
> suck so much.

Running servers at home is so 1999.

--
Jordan Bettis -- Chicago Il.