[UFO Chicago] Best Buy buys Speakeasy

Richard Lynch ceo at l-i-e.com
Wed Mar 28 10:27:40 PDT 2007

On Wed, March 28, 2007 10:39 am, sten wrote:
> On 3/28/2007, "Chris McAvoy" <chris.mcavoy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Yeah, I'm a current SpeakEasy customer.  This was disappointing news
>>to me.  That said, I've been thinking about getting a cheaper
>> service.
>> I don't host sites from home anymore, so I don't need a static IP or
>>speakeasy style service.  Any suggestions?

I have three (3) DSL lines to my apartment.

None of them work.

One of them NEVER, EVER worked.  I just plain gave up on that vendor
and went to another vendor.

Another one worked for about a year, until the vendor went belly up.

Another one worked for about a year, until that vendor went belly up.

They were all installed by SBC/Ameritech, because in the City Limits,
they pretty much have a monopoly. :-(

Oh, and I have this Comcast cable-modem that has worked reliably for
years and years.  Well, okay, there are occasional down-times,
particularly in very heavy thunderstorms, when you probably shouldn't
be using your home computer anyway.  And sometimes their DNS servers
conk out, so you have to unplug/plug-in your cable-modem to get the
new IPs.

You don't need static IP anyway, really, as things like
http://dyndns.org will re-map your IP to a domain name for you.

Oh, and speaking of monopolies, the lovely Com Ed did their usual
(almost) autopay thing in March for my electric bill.  The slight
hiccup was that their new/trainee meter reader f-ed up big-time and
they took $9443.78 out of my checking account.

You'd think all their fancy red-flag software to find cheaters and
whatnot would catch something that insanely stoopid, but apparently
not.

And it only took them FIVE DAYS to refund my money.

I really hate monopolies.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?