[UFO Chicago] Anyone here use Horde?

Greg Groth ggroth at gregs-garage.com
Tue Nov 21 06:41:47 PST 2006

On 11/18/2006 11:02 AM, Brian Sobolak wrote:
> Greg Groth wrote:
>> Anybody here use Horde, the web/groupware suite?  I have some
>> questions about it's workings that are probably painfully obvious, yet
>> I can't find the answers to.  I tried the Horde mailing list, but
>> haven't gotten a response.
>>
> I was under the impression that Horde was a massive beast, a giant
> monster of PHP madness.  What do you use it for?
>
> You can always ask, but we can't promise an answer.
>
> brian

That's what I heard too, which is why I stayed away from it.  I ended up
needing a web based file manager for users to access their directories
on our mail server.  Webmin needed java, and horde didn't, which is what
caused me to check it out in the first place (nothing against java, I
just needed something that didn't require a plug-in).  Anyway, to answer
something in the other response to this, Horde is just the framework.
In order to do anything with it, you have to add plug-ins.  Imp for
mail, Nag for tasks, Kronolith for calendar, etc.  My issues isn't a
programing issue, it's a feature issue.  In the Nag plug-in, you can set
an alarm, along with a frequency on when it's supposed to go off, for a
task.  For the life of me, I cannot find where this alarm "goes off".
It does not appear to send an email, make a sound, or give any visual
indication anywhere that looks or sounds like an alarm to me.

I asked about this in the Horde mailing list, and the response I
received was to try and enter an alarm.  Apparently someone guessed that
I had not done so yet, and that by creating an alarm would make it
perfectly clear where this alarm should appear.  However I still can't
locate where this alarm "goes off".  I'm guessing at this point I might
have something missing or misconfigured in my install (actually on two
installations), but I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing in order
to determine if there is a problem.  There's no screenshots on the Horde
home page, and the documentation isn't written stupid enough to walk you
through step by step.  I was hoping that if someone has used it before,
they could at least tell me what I should be seeing, and where.

As far as it being a massive beast, I found it fairly easy to install
and get up and running (after fixing the issue with the session cookies).

Best regards,
Greg Groth