[UFO Chicago] Re: Brian's Conversion from FreeBSD to Debian and Questions on X

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Tue May 9 14:26:40 PDT 2006

Jesse Becker wrote:
> Coming in a bit late to the thread...
>
> --- Brian Sobolak <brian at planetshwoop.com> wrote:
>
>> Good question.  No longer can I say "to impres chicks".
>
> I'm sure that many people on this list would like to meet
> the people you were formerly impressing. ;-)  (Myself
> excluded, in case Chandler ever finds this post archived
> online in the future)
>
>> Btw, I switched to Ubuntu.  Why?  X works out of the box.
>
> If you come from *BSD, use Gentoo.  I've heard it's the
> closest to BSD of all Linux distributions.  (Use a stage3
> install to save time).

This is advice I might heed, depending on how things go with Ubuntu.  I
had tried this as my first distro-of-choice, but after setting it up (I
used the Minimal install, not the LiveCD), it didn't boot.  I'll give the
LiveCD a shot before I pick a final final distro.  And it is certainly the
closest to the BSDs, in how the documentation is laid out, and the absence
of the word [Ff]ree.

And I'd prefer to ignore RedHat, because I really don't like RPM.

Brian Sobolak
http://www.planetshwoop.com/