[UFO Chicago] Re: Brian's Conversion from FreeBSD to Debian and Questions on X

Jesse Becker jesse_becker at yahoo.com
Tue May 9 14:05:43 PDT 2006

Coming in a bit late to the thread...

--- Brian Sobolak <brian at planetshwoop.com> wrote:

> Good question.  No longer can I say "to impres chicks".

I'm sure that many people on this list would like to meet
the people you were formerly impressing. ;-)  (Myself
excluded, in case Chandler ever finds this post archived
online in the future)

> The bit I've run of it so far surprises me.  /etc is a
> total mess, and I'm
> sick of hearing about free vs Free vs Not-Free.  I'm less

IME, this is a Debian thing.  Neither Gentoo, nor Redhat
suffers from these problems, IMO.  Gentoo has /etc/conf.d/
for system stuff, and /etc/<package> for everything else
(apache, cups, etc).

The free/non-free thing is 100% Debian, and it annoys the
hell out of me.  Red Hat gets around it by simply not
shipping stuff that isn't free (creating a different
problem).  Gentoo doesn't care, but is very careful about
tracking the licenses for each package.  Packages that
require registration/disclaimers, etc, have very specific
directions for obtaining the files needed.

> Btw, I switched to Ubuntu.  Why?  X works out of the box.

If you come from *BSD, use Gentoo.  I've heard it's the
closest to BSD of all Linux distributions.  (Use a stage3
install to save time).

Jesse Becker
GPG-fingerprint:  BD00 7AA4 4483 AFCC 82D0  2720 0083 0931 9A2B 06A2