[UFO Chicago] Re: Brian's Conversion from FreeBSD to Debian and Questions on X

Jesse Becker jesse_becker at yahoo.com
Tue May 9 14:41:17 PDT 2006

--- Brian Sobolak <brian at planetshwoop.com> wrote:
> This is advice I might heed, depending on how things go

The Gentoo forums and bugzilla are some of the best I've
seen with regards to useful content.  It's rare that I
can't find an answer to a question in one of those two
places.

The one downside to gentoo, especially when starting a new
box, is the compile time to get everything running.  There
are binary packages, but I don't actually know of any
repositories for them (of course, I haven't looked either).

If you haven't already, take a look at "distcc", and drop
me an email if you could make use of another compile host.

> And I'd prefer to ignore RedHat, because I really don't
> like RPM.

Portage > RPM
   and
RPM >>> dpkg.

RPM has it's idosyncracies, but I have found it quite
manageable.  Packaging is a non-trivial problem, but this
does the user side well enough.  For the package
maintainers, I've found RPM to be nicer than dpkg.  <shrug>
 each to his own.

And for the Debian folks out there: *NO*, apt-get does not
compare with rpm.  rpm ~ dpkg, and apt-get/dselect ~
up2date(or whatever for non-RH distros).

Jesse Becker
GPG-fingerprint:  BD00 7AA4 4483 AFCC 82D0  2720 0083 0931 9A2B 06A2