[UFO Chicago] Re: Brian's Conversion from FreeBSD to Debian and Questions on X

Neil R. Ormos ormos at ripco.com
Tue May 9 09:19:06 PDT 2006

Ian Bicking wrote:
> Brian Sobolak wrote:
>> Neil R. Ormos said:

>>> What prompted this conversion?

>> I think Linux on the desktop is better than
>> FreeBSD.  I also want to be able to run VMWare,
>> which won't work on FreeBSD.  It works on
>> kernel modifications.

>> The bit I've run of it so far surprises me.
>> /etc is a total mess, and I'm sick of hearing
>> about free vs Free vs Not-Free.  I'm less
>> interested in intellectually pure software than
>> I am in software that works; FreeBSD imho
>> placed a higher emphasis on working than what
>> type of license is employed.

> Similarly, /usr/local vs /usr annoys the heck
> out of me on FreeBSD.  Why do I care what the
> FreeBSD people think is "core"?
> /usr/local/bin/bash does not amuse me.  And
> where does *my* local stuff go if the base
> operating system already takes a claim on
> /usr/local?  Anyway...  nitpicking for everyone,
> hurrah!

Those who find the traditional unix directory
hierarchy and its later extensions to be
inconvenient may be interested in GoboLinux.

The GoboLinux FAQ has a brief explanation of some
changes in the directory hierarchy central to
their distribution:

  <http://www.gobolinux.org/index.php?page=faq>

] GoboLinux is a Linux distribution that breaks with
] the historical Unix directory
] hierarchy. Basically, this means that there are no
] directories such as /usr and /etc. The main idea
] of the alternative hierarchy is to store all files
] belonging to an application in its own separate
] subtree; therefore we have directories such as
] /Programs/GCC/2.95.3/lib.

] To allow the system to find these files, they are
] logically grouped in directories such as
] /System/Links/Executables, which, you guessed it,
] contains symbolic links to all executable files
] inside the Programs hierarchy.

] To maintain backwards compatibility with
] traditional Unix/Linux apps, there are symbolic
] links that mimic the Unix tree, such as "/usr/bin
] -> /System/Links/Executables", and "/sbin ->
] /System/Links/Executables" (this example shows
] that arbitrary differentiations between files of
] the same category were also removed).

--Neil