[UFO Chicago] Re: Brian's Conversion from FreeBSD to Debian and Questions on X

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Tue May 9 11:43:14 PDT 2006

Ian Bicking wrote:
> Brian Sobolak wrote:
>> Neil R. Ormos said:

>>>What prompted this conversion?
>>>

>> Good question.  No longer can I say "to impres chicks".
>>
>> I think Linux on the desktop is better than FreeBSD.  I also want to be
>> able
>> to run VMWare, which won't work on FreeBSD.  It works on kernel
>> modifications.
>>
>> The bit I've run of it so far surprises me.  /etc is a total mess, and
>> I'm
>> sick of hearing about free vs Free vs Not-Free.  I'm less interested in
>> intellectually pure software than I am in software that works; FreeBSD
>> imho
>> placed a higher emphasis on working than what type of license is
>> employed.
>
> Similarly, /usr/local vs /usr annoys the heck out of me on FreeBSD.  Why
> do I care what the FreeBSD people think is "core"?  /usr/local/bin/bash
> does not amuse me.

what about /bin vs /usr/bin?

/usr is pretty much only stuff put there at install time.  It's the stuff
needed to run the OS, for the most part.

/usr/local is anything that comes after, as selected by the user.

> And where does *my* local stuff go if the base
> operating system already takes a claim on /usr/local?

As for your stuff, you add it to /usr/local/ or of course, /opt.

> Anyway...
> nitpicking for everyone, hurrah!

It's been awhile since we've had any decent flammage here, anyway.

I think the thing that made me lose it, sort of, wasn't Linux's fault.  I
wanted to add a user to sudoer; I saw a section of the sudoers man page
that said "Don't despair what it is; EBNF is fairly simple."  What if you
do know what it is and still feel despair?

At least I haven't been told "This man page is no longer kept up to date;
the latest documentation is maintained as an info page."  Ugh.  info.

Brian Sobolak
http://www.planetshwoop.com/