[UFO Chicago] Re: Brian's Conversion from FreeBSD to Debian and Questions on X

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue May 9 08:30:14 PDT 2006

Brian Sobolak wrote:
> Neil R. Ormos said:
>
>>Brian Sobolak wrote:
>>

>>>I finally swtiched from FreeBSD to Linux
>>>full-time after five years.
>>
>>What prompted this conversion?
>>

> Good question.  No longer can I say "to impres chicks".
>
> I think Linux on the desktop is better than FreeBSD.  I also want to be able
> to run VMWare, which won't work on FreeBSD.  It works on kernel modifications.
>
> The bit I've run of it so far surprises me.  /etc is a total mess, and I'm
> sick of hearing about free vs Free vs Not-Free.  I'm less interested in
> intellectually pure software than I am in software that works; FreeBSD imho
> placed a higher emphasis on working than what type of license is employed.

Similarly, /usr/local vs /usr annoys the heck out of me on FreeBSD.  Why
do I care what the FreeBSD people think is "core"?  /usr/local/bin/bash
does not amuse me.  And where does *my* local stuff go if the base
operating system already takes a claim on /usr/local?  Anyway...
nitpicking for everyone, hurrah!