[UFO Chicago] Re: Brian's Conversion from FreeBSD to Debian and Questions on X

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Mon May 8 21:04:02 PDT 2006

Neil R. Ormos said:
> Brian Sobolak wrote:
>
> > I finally swtiched from FreeBSD to Linux
> > full-time after five years.
>
> What prompted this conversion?

Good question.  No longer can I say "to impres chicks".

I think Linux on the desktop is better than FreeBSD.  I also want to be able
to run VMWare, which won't work on FreeBSD.  It works on kernel modifications.

The bit I've run of it so far surprises me.  /etc is a total mess, and I'm
sick of hearing about free vs Free vs Not-Free.  I'm less interested in
intellectually pure software than I am in software that works; FreeBSD imho
placed a higher emphasis on working than what type of license is employed.

Btw, I switched to Ubuntu.  Why?  X works out of the box.

Thanks for the tips.

XWindows--The problem for your problem.

Brian Sobolak
brian @ planetshwoop.com
http://www.planetshwoop.com/

"Bad taste is real taste, of course, and good taste is the residue of
someone else's privilege..."  -- David Hickey