[UFO Chicago] weird wireless problem

Nate Riffe inkblot at movealong.org
Mon Dec 6 22:25:18 CST 2004

I just set up a wireless network in my apartment and I'm having some
kind of selective packet loss.  Specifically, packets to some IP
addresses are not making it across the wireless network.  Here's the
setup...

I've got a DSL coming into a closet where there is a box doing NAT,
DHCP, DNS, etc for the apartment.  To the router is connected a hub.
To the hub is also connected a Netgear WGE101, and currently my
laptop.  In my living room there is a Linksys WAP54G, not connected to
anything.  On my desk in the next room over, there is another Netgear
WGE101, connected to a hub, connected to two machines on my desk.  The
idea is basically that the Netgear bridges bridge whole hubs worth of
stuff to the wireless network and back.

It basically works.  Signal strength is solid on both bridges and
they're staying associated to the accent point just fine.  All local
traffic and traffic to and from part of the Internet is proceeding
normally.  The problem is that a very large subset of the Internet is
mysteriously inaccessible from the desk end of the wireless network.
Dumping packets on the NAT box, I can see that the affected traffic
isn't even getting that far.

So like I said, it's some kind of selective packet loss over the
wireless, and I am at a total loss as to what might cause that and how
to make it go away.  Can anyone help me?

-Nate

--
--< ((\))< >----< inkblot at movealong.org >----< http://www.movealong.org/ >--
pub  1024D/05A058E0 2002-03-07 Nate Riffe (06-Mar-2002) <inkblot at movealong.org>