[UFO Chicago] weird wireless problem

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Mon Dec 6 23:03:19 CST 2004

Nate Riffe wrote:

> So like I said, it's some kind of selective packet loss over the
> wireless, and I am at a total loss as to what might cause that and how
> to make it go away.  Can anyone help me?

Two things I found, don't know if this applies in your situation:

1) If you have a wireless phone of a certain frequency, it can mess with
the wireless.

2) When I had two machines on a switch connected to a wireless bridge, I
had absolutely jackshit work.  I never was able to isolate what went
wrong, but surmised having a 10Mbs and 100Mbs on the same segment was
causing problems.  It seemed like the bridge (I had a Dlink I think)
wanted to be set up solely for a single machine, not service a workgroup.

Have you tried seeing what the throughput between the two computers
connected to the hub is, just to make sure the hub isn't causing the
problems before it even bubbles up to the wireless?

I don't know if you have the equipment to do this, but you might try
only one or the other computer at a time too.

Just some ideas..... report back (perhaps with machine names and IPs so
we can keep it straight?)