[UFO Chicago] Come to Community Tech Day 4/24/04

John Stanton stanton at kacschgo.org
Fri Apr 16 17:55:28 CDT 2004

Hello all,

I just wanted to let everybody know about the Second Annual Chicago
Community Tech Day (CTD) http://communitytechday.org
CTD will  held on Saturday April 24, 2004 from Noon until 4:00 pm  at
Korean American Community Services, 4300 N. California Ave, Chicago IL

More than a dozen local, regional and national
community-based technology groups have signed on to be part of this
event including the Non Profit Open Source Initiative, Tech-Geeks,
PrairieNet, CTCNet, After School Matters, ICSTARS, The Center for
Neighborhood Technology, Wigle.net, Teaming For Technology,  and others.

All of the days high-lights revolve around aspects of Free and Open
Source Technologies and community based organizations.

 CTD will  feature a first of its kind public round table focused on
bringing a community driven, ubiquitous Wifi cloud to Chicago. Speakers
from four organizations, Wigle  http://wigle.net, The Center for
Neighborhood Technology http://cnt.org , Free The Future
http://freethefuture.com and The Prairie Net Community Network
http://www.prairienet.org/ will conduct a public forum and talk-back at
this event.  Each of these groups has already implemented or is about to
implement these technologies. This is your chance to learn about the
technology, and to become involved in the roll out.

As a complement to the WiFi forum the good folks at
http://freethefuture.com will be leading a class on building your own
CANTENNA. We will raffle the beast for $1.00 after the class.

Other Community Tech Day  highlights:

- booths and demonstrations by free tech training programs for young
people in Chicago
- Free and Open Source based Software for your computer. We will be
giving away the latest media from these projects SME, IPCOP, Fedora,
Knoppix, OpenCd, GNUWIN2, Slax, Libranet and others
-Free classes and lightning talks: web-design, photo-editing,
Introduction to Linux, 3-D animation, protecting your home computer from
virus (for windows users :-) ),  all participants take the software home
at the end of the class
-A four hour non-stop LAN party using Free and Open Source based software
- a raffle of several refurbished and internet ready computer systems
running Linux for only $1.00 (thanks to the hard work of Jeff Y)
-  FREE pizza and soda.

Last years event was really fun, and we think that this years will be
2^n times betta!

This is a free public event, and all are welcome.

The event is held in cooperation with Korean American Community Services
and NPOTechs http://npotechs.org , a group of volunteers who
serve Chicago Area non-profit organizations and community members with
pro-bono
computer implementation and professional development.

Korean American Community Services is located 100 Feet south of the intersection of Montrose and California Ave

Ample free parking across the street (feel free to bring your  bike
inside).

Check out http://communitytechday.org for more information.

Thanks and we hope to see you there.

John