[UFO Chicago] SBC/Yahoo DSL Service

Richard Royston rjroyston@ameritech.net
Wed, 09 Apr 2003 17:04:33 -0500

Richard Dahringer wrote:

> Richard -
> I am getting ready to install a brand-spanking new DSL line on a RedHat
> 8.0 box.  If you think it will help, I'll document what I do and send it
> on to you.   What flavor of Linux are you running?
>
> Richard Royston wrote:
> >My most significant problem is DSL. .....
> >
> >So, if anyone has direct experience of converting a system running linux
> >from Ameritech/SBC to Yahoo/SBC, I would still be extremely grateful to
> >hear about their experience.

An account of what you do would be most helpful. However, I am so
ignorant that I will probably need some additional help too.

The /proc/version file on my system says I'm running "Linux version
2.4.8-26mdk (quintela@bi.mandrakesoft.com) (gcc version 2.96 20000731
(Mandrake Linux 8.1 2.96-0.62mdk)) #1 Sun Sep 23 17:06:39 CEST 2001".

My next most significant problem is that I'm not a savvy system
administrator, so I don't know where all the setup info is stored. I
know about /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf, /etc/sysconfig/draknet.adsl_pppoe and
/etc/rc.d/init.d/adsl. My /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file, however, contains
info about the ISP I was using before I got my DSL from Ameritech/SBC,
so I believe there must be other files that contain information that
matters; where are they? what are their names?

I think the most interesting thing for me to know is if there is
anything in any of the configuration files that you end up with for
talking to SBC/Yahoo differs from what was set up for Ameritech/SBC.

Thanks

Richard Royston