[UFO Chicago] SBC/Yahoo DSL Service

Richard Royston rjroyston@ameritech.net
Wed, 09 Apr 2003 16:09:15 -0500

"Peter A. Peterson II" wrote:

> Quoting Ian Bicking:
> > I would strongly recommend you decouple your email from your DSL
> > provider. .....
>
> Richard,
>
> I would also be happy to provide you with email.

Thank you for your kind offer. BUT .....

And thank you, other respondents, for urging me not to upgrade. BUT

My most significant problem is DSL. I have tried to obtain DSL service
from other ISP's that advertise it, but when I place an order it's
always rejected. Only Ameritech/SBC was actually prepared to give me
(well, sell, actually) a connection. I am now receiving quasi-personal
emails from Yahoo telling me to upgrade. They haven't yet threatened to
cut me off, but I fear it coming, and, as I said, not being a real guru
I can't afford to wait until it becomes a panic project, since I may
find myself spending a couple of weeks or more fixing any problems.

Yahoo's help line doesn't answer any questions that are technical. In
the event of problems they tell you to do things on your Windows system
and report back to them the Windows diagnostic messages. They don't want
to know about data in configuration or log files, and I suspect that the
people with whom the public is allowed to interact don't know about such
things themselves. I don't have a Windows system, and don't know enough
to fake it.

So, if anyone has direct experience of converting a system running linux
from Ameritech/SBC to Yahoo/SBC, I would still be extremely grateful to
hear about their experience.

Thanks

Richard Royston