[UFO Chicago] Video and sound editing

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:42:19 -0700

begin  Ian Bicking  quotation:
> Looking at Freshmeat, there's lots of sound editors, but only a
> couple video editors of note.  How do the sound editors compare to
> Windows or Mac?  How about hardware support for accessing raw sound
> clips?  Do the applications have the polish to produce high-quality
> finished pieces?  (Speach with sound track, filtering poor-quality
> input, etc)  Pete, you've done some of this stuff, yes?

So there was an app out called Broadcast2000 that everyone raved
about, but the author didn't quite seem to grok free software in some
strange ways.  Like, he wrote his own damn widget set, and he got mad
when mandrake or someone packaged it before he was "done" or
something.  It has a bit of an annoying UI, I say.

Search for "heroin warrior" and you'll find the successor project.

audacity seems to be the audio editor de rigeur for GNU, but it's a
primitive app at best.  Ardour looks promising, but isn't quite done
yet.

Sneakums recently found that his USB iMic got better sound quality
for line-in work because it was in an external housing away from
electrically noisy fans and power supplies etc.

Firewire support is pretty stable lately, and I have a friend here in
San Francisco who's working on making a movie using only Linux (but
she may end up using proprietary software).

--
A: No.