[UFO Chicago] Video and sound editing

jjbenham@chicagoguitar.com jjbenham@chicagoguitar.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:21:50 -0500

I use cinelerra.  I think it is pretty nice.  It does not have as many
features as dolby premiere but its getting better all the time.  When you
use it with externel software it helps.  The fact that it can take png, tga,
or jpeg lists is one feature that is a life savor in terms of getting it to
work with other free software like xmorph, gimp, and blender. The author of
broadcast2000/cinelerra has a very strange sence of humor but I like it.
I put some ebuilds of a few programs that I use at:
http://igor.chicagoguitar.com/gentoo-artist/
I will add more later.

For sound editors I use snd.  audacity is for multitrack recording.  Most
people I know use ecasounds for that though. From what I hear ecasound is
more mature then audacity.  Follow my ebuild on snd to learn how to optimise
snd to use David Philips Scheme plugins.  I think this is the best sound
editor.  It intergrates with the Common lisp music sythesizer if she is into
that sort of thing.

have your friend check out:
http://www.ualberta.ca/~cwant/gimp/postprocess.html#RenderEffects
He makes his own cartoons in linux using just gimp,blender, perl, and some
sort of mpeg encoder. I would highly recomend cinelerra though.  Its website
is:
http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3

of course just for fun look at:
http://www.lmahd.com/
They sell workstations with cinelerra and maya.
Cinelerra is gpl unfortunately maya is not.  She can get buy with blender
but there is no comparison between maya and blender. Now that blender is
free maybe that will change eventually.

Here is a linux journel article about the creation of titanic using alpha
linux render farm:

I know final fantasy was compiled with a large x86 render farm with sgi irix
front end.  I read recently disney converted their systems to linux.  I have
not looked this up to get the detail but I heard even the artists
workstation are now running linux.

Two other places she should look is:
http://linuxartist.org/
and