[UFO Chicago] Video and sound editing

Ian Bicking ianb@colorstudy.com
23 Sep 2002 01:48:53 -0500

How good is Linux for editing video or sound?  When first asked, I
answered conservatively (i.e., probably Windows or Mac would be better),
but then I realized I don't really know what the state of the art is.
I'm not that optimistic about video, but I know nothing about video
editing.  But what about sound?  What kind of applications are
available?

Looking at Freshmeat, there's lots of sound editors, but only a couple
video editors of note.  How do the sound editors compare to Windows or
Mac?  How about hardware support for accessing raw sound clips?  Do the
applications have the polish to produce high-quality finished pieces?
(Speach with sound track, filtering poor-quality input, etc)  Pete,
you've done some of this stuff, yes?

BTW, I'm trying to set up workstations for this editing for Chicago
Indymedia <http://chicago.indymedia.org>, and if anyone happens to have
hardware that they might give away, that would be very helpful.  We have
very little money -- I want these to be quality workstations, but
hopefully that might not have to mean buying everything new.

  Ian