[UFO Chicago] Fwd: try gpart (was: Ext3 Partition lost)

Sean Neakums sneakums@ufo.chicago.il.us
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 16:44:32 +0100

One of those handy tools that you file away and hope you never have to use.
Debian users, it's packaged and present in all three distributions.

-------------------- Start of forwarded message --------------------
From: Gregor Zattler <texmex@uni.de>
To: ext3-users@redhat.com
Subject: try gpart (was: Ext3 Partition lost)
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 13:42:04 +0200

Hi Kostas,
* Kostas Sfakiotakis <kostassf@cha.forthnet.gr> [22. Sep. 2002]:
> I am writting this message because i managed to loose an ext3 partition by
> responding to a Norton Antivirus Alert .

gpart is a cool tool which *g*esses partition infos.

>From README:

   Gpart is a small tool which tries to guess what partitions
   are on a PC type harddisk in case the primary partition table
   was damaged.

   Gpart works by scanning through the device (or file) given on
   the command line on a sector basis. Each guessing module is
   asked if it thinks a file system it knows about could start at
   a given sector. Several file system guessing modules are built
   in, others can be added dynamically.

Source:
http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/76201/gpart/gpart-0.1h.tar.gz

Statically linked Linux binary (265364 Bytes):
http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/76201/gpart/gpart.linux

Ciao, Gregor
--
"The future is here. It's just not widely distributed yet."
-- William Gibson