[UFO Chicago] On Ion and Mail clients...

Ian Bicking ianb@colorstudy.com
23 Oct 2002 14:57:05 -0500

On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 09:39, Rob Latham wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 02:42:27AM -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
> > it's too bad text clients are so X-unaware (it's not like X programs
> > *have* to be significantly graphical).
>
> what do you want to do that's x related?  fire up a GUI web browser?

After a bit more introspection, I realized the web browser wasn't a big
deal (though I'd like a lighter terminal than gnome-terminal that, like
gnome-terminal, makes URLs on the screen into links).

But much more important to me is a non-modal interface.  In particular,
I often have several composition windows open, as I am perhaps a bit too
deliberate in my mail composition at times.  In general, I want to be
able to do several mail-related tasks at once.  Few text clients allow
this sort of thing... (X)Emacs probably being the closest -- it's still
mostly text-based, and even in text mode it's (almost) fully non-modal.
I guess I'll have to look harder at that.  If I switch my terminal to
XEmacs as well, then my only other application will be Galeon.  Weird.

(Obviously, while a person can have multiple terminals open, mail
programs get angry if you have multiple instances open... unless maybe I
was using mh...)

  Ian