[UFO Chicago] On Ion and Mail clients...

Adam Lazur adam@lazur.org
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 13:34:42 -0400

Ian Bicking (ianb@colorstudy.com) said:
> (Oh... and does a novel terminal emulator even exist?  I'm not sure what it
> would mean, but considering how much time some people spend in these, I feel
> there's room for doing something cooler than some stupid transparent
> background)

I guess how novel it is is related to if you're familiar with it or not,
but screen is a kickass terminal emulator.

The basics are multiplexing terminals, attaching/detaching session, and
searchable scrollback. Screen can also do crazy things like adding input
and output filter processes or allowing multi-user sessions. There's
also a level of command scriptability.

A minor drawback is that the only existing screen client is the ncurses
one that must run within another terminal emulator.

If you spend your time in terminals and you're not a screen user, you
should be.

--
Adam Lazur, Cluster Monkey