[UFO Chicago] Re: make linux connect to the evil attbi

j.bare j.bare@attbi.com
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:38:11 -0500

> If you leave your computer on all the time you can set it up
> statically.  If you turn if off for a long period of time I think
> it is possible for someone else to snag your ip.  There was
> statement on ATT's home page saying that other operating systems
> other than win98 can set up their ip statically. I don't remeber
> the exact words.  It was not very helpful.

I've seen ATTBI's "help" page. Not useful at all

I am going to try one more thing with DHCP first: What would happen if I
told linux that the MAC address for eth0 was identical with the MAC of cable
modem?  Would that fool the DHCP server into responding to eth0 with IP info
instead of/in addition to the modem?

> First did you look at the dhcp how-to at tldp.org?
> It mentions something about RedHat or other distros not
> automatically creating a /etc/dhcp/resolv.conf or
> /etc/resolve.conf.  You may be able to set that up manually.  I
> would back the file up if you do.

yeah, I've looked at tldp.  Any competence I may have inadvertently
displayed is due entirely to that project.