[UFO Chicago] Re: make linux connect to the evil attbi

jjbenham@chicagoguitar.com jjbenham@chicagoguitar.com
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 10:38:02 -0500

Hello,

> eth0 is dynamicly assigned by the ISP

If you leave your computer on all the time you can set it up statically.  If you turn if off for a long period of time I think it is possible for someone else to snag your ip.  There was statement on ATT's home page saying that other operating systems other than win98 can set up their ip statically. I don't remeber the exact words.  It was not very helpful.

A real easy solution is to install the rpm for linuxconf and then enter your ip address gateway dns and all that in linuxconf.

You can just do this also:

ifconfig eth0 Your_static_ip_address_here up
route add default gw your_gateway_address_here

Then test it with:
lynx www.yahoo.com

Wait a while if it did not show up then something else must be wrong.

I have it setup manually on all of mine.
ip masq is set up by configuring your firewall.

I have never setup dhcp except when plugging it into a router at my parents house.  But anyway I may be totally wrong on the following but this is what I am guessing:

First did you look at the dhcp how-to at tldp.org?
It mentions something about RedHat or other distros not automatically creating a /etc/dhcp/resolv.conf or /etc/resolve.conf.  You may be able to set that up manually.  I would back the file up if you do.

/etc/resolv.conf should look something like this:
nameserver dns_address_#1
nameserver dns_address_#2
search attbi.com

You would change dns_address_#1-3 to whatever attbi dns addresses are.

You might want to configure it with a static ip for a temp solution.

Hope it helps,
Jeremiah