FW: [UFO Chicago] make linux connect to the evil attbi

Fri, 19 Jul 2002 13:37:19 -0500

Quoting j.bare:
> # dhclient -e -d eth0
> dhclient is not installed. RH DHCP client is dhcpcd.  Can you tell me
> what -e and -d do so I can get that information for you?

-e is to show errors, and -d is the device.

> What happens if you reverse the lines in your networking config to
> make eth0 your internal nic and eth1 your dynamic outside link? Does
> it work, or is the problem specific to one adaptor?
> no luck here

When you say "no luck here" do you mean you tried this? WHen you tried
it, did eth0 actually work as your 192.168.0.1 adaptor, and eth1 did
not "initialize" properly, or what happened? This information is
important for troubleshooting.

> 1. Why would it be denied by your firewall? Can you turn off the
> firewall temporarily and test it?
> I haven't tried this yet.  Mostly because I'm not sure which program it is.
> SSH I think
>
> Why would your Winders box get it
> then but not your GNU/Linux box?
> Cuz there's no firewall on windows?

Hmm... well, your computer is initializing the connection outbound for
the dhcp connection, so your firewall should allow it -- that's
assuming that you do have a firewall in place and running... what
firewalling package are you using, and where did you get the rules? Is
the firewall STARTED?

> 2. Does your cable modem get the dynamic address, or does the PC?
> Again, if your windows box is successfully able to renew it's dhcp
> address, your linux box should be just as easily able to do the same.
> the cable modem gets the IP.  If I reboot win98, I still have the same lease
> times.  That leads me to think that the modem is the entity addressed.

...and assumedly the modem gives you another ip -- or you get another
one from the upstream dhcpd. Is there a hardware reset on the modem,
if it's somehow "registered" your Win98 box's MAC address or
somethign?

> 3Com PCI 3c905C Tornado at 0xdc00 Vers. LK1.1.16
> 3Com PCI 3c905B Cyclone 100baseTx at 0xd880 Vers. LK1.1.16

Those should both be 100 base T cards, so that shouldn't be an issue.

> btw, how do you do that really cool quoting >> thing?

This is actually the "old school" way of quoting email -- almost all
older email clients do quoting like this automatically for you. I use
mutt and vim on GNU/Linux, but most older email clients (such as pine
or elm) do quoting like this.

You can also configure most GUI clients to quote replied messages like
this -- I know that both evolution and Outlook support this kind of
quoting for plain text messages.

pedro

--
Peter A. Peterson II, technician and musician.
---=[ http://tastytronic.net/~pedro/ ]=---