FW: [UFO Chicago] make linux connect to the evil attbi

j.bare j.bare@attbi.com
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 12:02:41 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter A. Peterson II [mailto:pedro@tastytronic.net]
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 10:04 AM
To: j.bare
Cc: ufo@ufo.chicago.il.us
Subject: Re: [UFO Chicago] make linux connect to the evil attbi

Is your Vim Wenders '98 box getting it's ip dynamically? (It
would seem so, from what you've said so far.)
yes

Are you sure your ethernet cord is good?
I just booted with a different cord between eth0 and cable modem - same
result (this is the kind of thing I would never have thought to check)

Have you tried running the dhcp-client manually? Become root (or use
sudo!) and install dhcp-client (if it isn't installed) or pump (which
is older and in general shouldn't be used).

Try this:

# dhclient -e -d eth0
dhclient is not installed. RH DHCP client is dhcpcd.  Can you tell me
what -e and -d do so I can get that information for you?

or

# pump -R -i eth0
And let us know what it says.
Operation failed. Probably cuz eth0 is not initialized at boot.  syslog says
"can't get client address transport endpoint is not connected"

What happens if you reverse the lines in your networking config to
make eth0 your internal nic and eth1 your dynamic outside link? Does
it work, or is the problem specific to one adaptor?
no luck here

> What I suspect is happening is that dhcpcd is sending the broadcast but
DHCP
> server at my ISP is either (1) sending the information but being denied by
> my firewall, or (2) the ISP's DHCP server is not responding because it has
> already assigned an IP to my MAC address; that being the cable modem.

1. Why would it be denied by your firewall? Can you turn off the
firewall temporarily and test it?
I haven't tried this yet.  Mostly because I'm not sure which program it is.
SSH I think

Why would your Winders box get it
then but not your GNU/Linux box?
Cuz there's no firewall on windows?

2. Does your cable modem get the dynamic address, or does the PC?
Again, if your windows box is successfully able to renew it's dhcp
address, your linux box should be just as easily able to do the same.
the cable modem gets the IP.  If I reboot win98, I still have the same lease
times.  That leads me to think that the modem is the entity addressed.

Another total shot in the dark -- is eth0 a 10-base T adaptor
rather than a 100-base T adaptor?
I - I don't know.
3Com PCI 3c905C Tornado at 0xdc00 Vers. LK1.1.16
3Com PCI 3c905B Cyclone 100baseTx at 0xd880 Vers. LK1.1.16

btw, how do you do that really cool quoting >> thing?

thanks again
Joe Bare