[UFO Chicago] New laptop HD

Nate Riffe inkblot@movealong.org
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 18:44:29 -0500

Just now Jesse Becker made 15 LEDs in my apartment flash with this:
> In the hopes of steering the UFO list away from degenerating further, I have
> a real question.
>
> I my laptop has a 4GB hard disc that is almost always near full (yes, yes, I
> know...I'll get rid of the hot grits/Natalie Portman pics tomorrow.
> Promise).  I recently got a 10GB drive as well, and I'd like to migrate from
> one disc to the other.  Were this a desktop system, I just install the new
> drive, and dump/restore/reboot.  Alas, this I cannot do since there just
> aren't ports or plugs or cables for me to use.

What I would do is make a backup copy of all of the stuff in /etc,
/home, /var, and /usr/local on another machine, then install the new
drive, install the OS, and restore your stuff from backups.

> Now, I've heard tell that there are adapters that can be used in full sized
> drive bays to access laptop drives.  Anyone have one or know where to get
> one?

My favorite adapter for odd-sized drives is the DT adapter, which can
house a drive of any size.  The only thing you need worry about is the
bus, which ought to be IDE on your laptop.  DT adapters can be found
in any hardware store under the name "duct tape".

> The other idea is boot another laptop I have off a CD, and just dump
> everything over the net from disc to disc.  I've done this before, but it's
> been a while.  Anyone want to lend their thoughts, and generate some
> non-flame list trafffic?

If you have this option available, then I would explore it.  The worst
you could do is you might have to start over.

-Nate

--
--< ((\))< >----< inkblot@movealong.org >----< http://www.movealong.org/ >--
pub  1024D/05A058E0 2002-03-07 Nate Riffe (06-Mar-2002) <inkblot@movealong.org>