[UFO Chicago] setting up mutt mail

Ian Bicking ianb@colorstudy.com
29 Jan 2002 16:07:07 -0600

On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 13:28, John Kilbourne wrote:
> Thanks for the tip about /etc/rc.local/ to configure my ppp0. I'll
> try it tonight when I get home from work. I thought that since I can
> connect to the web now,email would automatically go where it is
> pointed: i.e., I thought my machine would sort out  email addresses
> through the same DNS resolution that it uses to load web pages. But
> I tried using mutt to send myself a letter yesterday (to my web-based
> account), but it did not go through.
>
> How do I tell the mutt its address, so it can receive and send and
> receive mail outside my own little network of one user?

I assume your main mail is a POP mailbox.  You could send mail directly
to yourself if you have a MTA set up (traditionally sendmail, could be
smail, exim, postfix, etc.) -- but you have to have your computer always
on and connected.

So POP is easier.  You have to set up your .muttrc file for this.  Do
"man muttrc" to read about the options.  You can skip down to the pop_*
options to learn about POP.  envelope_from will set your from address,
though there are other ways to do it as well.

  Ian