[UFO Chicago] what draws you here?

kiran kiran@telocity.com
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 01:21:19 -0600

Hell I was a Mac enthusiast for years(SE), then I got my first PowerMac
7100/66 and a local service provder shell account. I knew nothing about
CLI and I couldn't get the SLIP service working(really Green). I bought
Unix in a Nutshell by O'reiley, learned some commands and for a while I
totally forgot about trying to get SLIP to work for a few months, I was
enamored with CLI. Two years later (96) a friend told me about linux, so
I bought LinuxPPC and installed it, tinkered, poked & proded the system.
It was hard for me at first to stick with it since I relied on Mac apps
alot at the time (and a 250M HD), but in 98 I finnally got a dedicated
Gnu/Linux machine up and running (my goal for a while) and now use it
99% of the time in favor of Windows or MacOS. There are still some apps
that work better that I still need to use in the MacOS....and well ok I
used windows for games I "needed" to play & work. I wish I could say
100% linux use, but I'm still a bit uncomfortable with some of the gpl'd
graphic apps, but I'm working on learning some of the equivalent
graphic/layout programs, soon, soon 100%! I think the G4 runs linux so
much better than MacOS (even OSX). One thing I noticed was that I though
Gnu/Linux was unfirendly at first, but have reversed that opinion,
because I have found myself trying to do things in dos/windows (at work)
that would take two seconds in *inx, but are more difficult/impossible
in windows or MacOS. *nix always had too many options before, but now I
can't live without each new option I learn....ok within reason ;).