[UFO Chicago] New Linux Website

Ian Bicking ianb@colorstudy.com
06 Dec 2002 12:00:41 -0600

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 03:52, Larry Garfield wrote:
> The point was driven home in late August when my roommate and I hosted a
> LAN Party at our appartment for 12 hours straight of gaming (much fun
> was had by all), and half way through I had to remove one of the arms
> and leave it lying on the floor, because otherwise my shoulder began to
> twitch and spasm.  Once I removed the arm, the top of my shoulder was no
> longer compressed, and the pain subsided quickly and I was able to wreck
> much carnage upon my foes.

I'm convinced arm rests are dangerous -- obviously they don't harm
everyone, and all arm rests aren't bad (I think a lot of newer chairs
have smaller rests which are better), but overall there's problems.
After I got a chair without arms I found my RSI substantially improved.
There is a nerve in the outside of your elbow (the "funny bone"), which
can get squeezed in an arm rest.  Also, I find that adapting my posture
to work without an arm rest means a better posture -- I keep my keyboard
either fairly low, or on my lap.  In the process I use some large
muscles to keep my position, which feels better to me.

It's kind of guessing as to why its helped, but I definitely think it
has.

  Ian