[UFO Chicago] New Linux Website

Nate Riffe inkblot@movealong.org
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 07:15:40 -0600

Just now Ian Bicking made 15 LEDs in my apartment flash with this:
> On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 23:44, Nate Riffe wrote:
> > Why are otherwise intelligent people so compelled to argue about text
> > editors?
>
> I spend a lot of time in my text editor.  If I was the more productive
> person I wish I was, I'd spend nearly all my time in a text editor,
> eschewing petty mail reading and web browsing... so of course we should
> have opinions on this stuff.

Professional golfers spend nearly all of their time walking across and
striking small objects which are resting on lawns of grass.  I have
never heard of a single argument over what type of grass makes a
better golf course so vicious as I the arguments of technologists over
text editors....

Of course people have preferences.  What's that got to do with arguing
them to death?

> In the course of this, the more time I spend in the text editor, the
> more time I spend in my chair.  We should debate more vigorously on the
> merits of different chairs.  I don't believe in arm rests on chairs, for
> instance... arms at rest are the devil's playground!  Counterpoint?

Counterpoint: If I spend too much time typing in a chair which does
not have armrests approximately 1 to 4 centimeters above the level of
the keyboard, my wrists and possibly my forearms will hurt.  (Note
distinct lack of stance on whether *you* should use armrests, too).

-Nate

--
--< ((\))< >----< inkblot@movealong.org >----< http://www.movealong.org/ >--
American currency is neither red, white, nor blue.