[UFO Chicago] Voice Recognition / Dictation Software

Larry Garfield lgarfiel@students.depaul.edu
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:16:09 -0500

Nick Moffitt wrote:

> begin  Larry Garfield  quotation:
> > What else should I be looking at, or is this something that's not
> > quite mature enough on GNU-friendly platforms yet?
>
>         A year or two ago, my then-flatmate Seth David Schoen suffered
> from rather intense wrist pain, and tried a number of speech
> recognition tools.  The main problem he found with the free ones was
> that they aren't general-purpose dictation tools so much as glorified
> remote controls.  They're not designed to detect full sentences.
>
>         Of course, that was only very shortly after Kevin Lenzo (of
> infobot fame) had fought CMU to release the program he had worked on
> for his research.  It's possible that things have improved since then.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about.  I'm really not interested in
"voice navigation" software, as the current computing paradigm (Oooo...
fancy word) and the desktop metaphor suck for voice navigation from the
get-go.  I'm looking to save wear and tear on my hands, and possibly,
possibly improve my speed.  (Although I'll happily settle for just the
former.)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
lgarfiel@students.depaul.edu	ICQ: 6817012

-- "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you." :-)