[UFO Chicago] Fun with Domains

Larry Garfield lgarfiel@students.depaul.edu
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 05:53:41 -0500

Nate Riffe wrote:

> Just now Larry Garfield made 15 LEDs in my apartment flash with this:
> > path-directing domain names.
>
> ITYM "virtual hosts".

Yep, that's it.

> > Now, my question is, given my current setup, with foreign DNS hosting
> > and a NAT in the way, can I still do that sort of setup?  If so, how?
> > Inquiring minds want to know!
>
> Of course you can.  The apache configuration works the same as before.
> The DNS configuration works the same as before.  The only thing that
> has changed is Where the domain is served from.  As long as you still
> have control over what records are in the domain, then the domain
> hosting doesn't make any difference in your virtual host setup.
>
> -Nate

Good stuff.  Given that my knowledge of domain records is limited,
though, do you know of a good (short) explanation of what I need to know
to set that up?

As for Ian: do explain what mod_rewrite is, please, and if it would be
better/worse than virtual hosts a la Nate. ;-)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
lgarfiel@students.depaul.edu	ICQ: 6817012

-- "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you." :-)