[UFO Chicago] Fun with Domains

Ian Bicking ianb@colorstudy.com
16 Aug 2002 13:30:44 -0500

On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 05:53, Larry Garfield wrote:
> As for Ian: do explain what mod_rewrite is, please, and if it would be
> better/worse than virtual hosts a la Nate. ;-)

Mod_rewrite is something of a hack -- it comes with Apache, and is often
used for any URL manipulations you might need.  The rule I gave would
rewrite a URL to a file location (though you can rewrite a URL to
another URL) -- basically you'd add the virtual host (HTTP_HOST) value
to the beginning of the URL.

If you want distinct hosts with different configurations, then you
probably want to use VirtualHost, but if you just want to put names on
the front of your domain to point to subsections of your site, then
mod_rewrite will be more expedient.  It's documented in Apache's module
section (it comes with Apache by default).

  Ian