[UFO Chicago] [declan@well.com: FC: FBI releases advisory about 802.11-spotting "wardriving"]

Jesse Becker jesse_becker@yahoo.com
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 13:32:51 -0700 (PDT)

--- Larry Garfield <lgarfiel@students.depaul.edu> wrote:
> Well, in theory they may be correct, it's like tapping
> someone's cable
> line for "free cable".  On the other hand, one could just
> as easily
> argue that a company that has open APs that anyone can
> easily access is
> not taking reasonable measures to protect their service,
> making it more
> of a broadcast network like analog TV.  (Now, using that
> connection to
> hack into the company's server's is still a felony,
> because it's illegal
> entry, not illegal use.)

Did anyone here listen in on converstations using their FM
radio?  I seem to have dim memories of people using those
old analogue radios to get a few more Hz above or below the
FM band to listen to various radio converstations.  In
cases like that, you can't (cheaply, where "cheap"=="no
cost") block other people from receiving your
transmissions.

It seems that in the case of wireless networking, you can
do only a few things:  1) ignore *their* transmissions into
your network based on MAC addresses, or something equally
unique, 2) use some form of session encryption so that you
can't sniff out aforementioned MAC address, and 3) have a
secure authentication method to prove that you do, in fact,
have permission to access the network.  (I'm blurring the
authentication/authorization line here a bit).

> Discuss.

You didn't get the NY accent right, nor did you mention the
fact the HRE was neither Holy, Roman, or an Empire.  :-)

--Jesse