[UFO Chicago] [declan@well.com: FC: FBI releases advisory about 802.11-spotting "wardriving"]

Larry Garfield lgarfiel@students.depaul.edu
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 15:46:59 -0500

Jesse Becker wrote:

> --- Larry Garfield <lgarfiel@students.depaul.edu> wrote:
> > Well, in theory they may be correct, it's like tapping
> > someone's cable
> > line for "free cable".  On the other hand, one could just
> > as easily
> > argue that a company that has open APs that anyone can
> > easily access is
> > not taking reasonable measures to protect their service,
> > making it more
> > of a broadcast network like analog TV.  (Now, using that
> > connection to
> > hack into the company's server's is still a felony,
> > because it's illegal
> > entry, not illegal use.)
>
> Did anyone here listen in on converstations using their FM
> radio?  I seem to have dim memories of people using those
> old analogue radios to get a few more Hz above or below the
> FM band to listen to various radio converstations.  In
> cases like that, you can't (cheaply, where "cheap"=="no
> cost") block other people from receiving your
> transmissions.

Not an FM radio, no.  But I do recall having a Radio Shack radio
headset, the kind that most middle schools use for their stage crew.  If
someone was using an old coordless phone in the area, hearing their side
of the conversation was as easy as using channel "C".

> > Discuss.
>
> You didn't get the NY accent right, nor did you mention the
> fact the HRE was neither Holy, Roman, or an Empire.  :-)

"The literature of the Middles Ages was moribund.  Discuss."

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
lgarfiel@students.depaul.edu	ICQ: 6817012

-- "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you." :-)