[UFO Chicago] qmail configuration

Nate Riffe inkblot@movealong.org
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 20:21:50 -0600 (CST)

On 20 Nov 2001, Ian Bicking wrote:

> For all its (many) flaws, combined with vmailmgr
> (http://www.vmailmgr.org) qmail was by far the easiest/most robust mail
> system for name-based virtual domains that I could find.  Postfix didn't
> have the supporting programs, community, or documentation.

Dude!  It took me five minutes to setup a virtual domain!  I got your
community right here!

The trick:

In main.cf:
- -----
virtual_maps = hash:some_db_file
- -----

In some_db_file:
- -----
# Tell postfix it's OK to accept mail for your.virtual.domain
your.virtual.domain	OK
# Tell postfix where to forward mail addressed to user@your.virtual.domain
user@your.virtual.domain	realuseronthemailhost
# Tell postfix where to forward mail addressed to luser@your.virtual.domain
luser@your.virtual.domain	someguy@some.other.domain
- -----

After editing some_db_file run this:

root@yourmx# postmap some_db_file

This will produce the file some_db_file.db, which postfix will then.

DNS setup is the same regardless of mailer daemon.

- -Nate