[UFO Chicago] qmail configuration

Ian Bicking ianb@colorstudy.com
20 Nov 2001 20:41:03 -0600

On Tue, 2001-11-20 at 20:21, Nate Riffe wrote:
> Dude!  It took me five minutes to setup a virtual domain!  I got your
> community right here!
>
> The trick:
>
> In main.cf:
> - -----
> virtual_maps = hash:some_db_file
> - -----
>
> In some_db_file:
> - -----
> # Tell postfix it's OK to accept mail for your.virtual.domain
> your.virtual.domain	OK
> # Tell postfix where to forward mail addressed to user@your.virtual.domain
> user@your.virtual.domain	realuseronthemailhost
> # Tell postfix where to forward mail addressed to luser@your.virtual.domain
> luser@your.virtual.domain	someguy@some.other.domain
> - -----

Yeah, they all do that.  But what I like with vmailmgr is each virtual
domain has one unix user, and all mail to that domain goes in various
directories in that user's home directory.  Then you retrieve the mail
by logging into POP with user@your.virtual.domain instead of just user,
since normal POP doesn't work with name-based domains.

Plus, you don't need to be root to add new emails -- in fact, adding new
email addresses doesn't effect anything outside of the
virtual-domain-user's home directory.

Also, since the files are more isolated (no one big file), it's
easier/safer to provide web interfaces for domain owners to manage their
own email address.

qmail's idea of email addresses as namespaces is really cool.  There are
some good design decisions in qmail... if the license just wasn't such a
pain I'm sure the crappy parts would have been fixed by now.  A good
lesson that almost-good-enough licensing isn't good enough.

  Ian